Burt-Stark Mansion Tours - 1:30 - 4:30

David Lesley, lawyer and planter, built this fine Greek Revival two-story mansion in 1841 within walking distance of the Square. It is most famous for being the site of Jefferson Davis’ last war council during Armistead Burt’s residency. Davis, a close friend of the Burt’s, finally disbanded his war cabinet here in May 1865 before fleeing to Georgia.

In 1900 J. S. Stark bought the house and restored it to its former antebellum glory. The last surviving member of the family, Mary Stark Davis, donated it and the furnishings to the Historic Preservation Commission in 1971. It is now a National Landmark and is open to the public for tours.

Call 864-366-0166 for information